Application Deadline: May 23, 2023
Residency Dates: September 1, 2023 – August 31, 2024
Location: Port Moody Arts Centre
Applicants notified by: June 16, 2023
PoMoArts invites applications for the 2023/2024 Ceramic Artist in Residence (CAIR). This residency is an excellent opportunity for artistic development within an innovative and supportive ceramic community. The residency requires an emphasis on making, learning and sharing the process of creating with clay. It includes a studio, kiln firings, a solo exhibition and more. In exchange PoMoArts CAIR is asked to supervise two open studio sessions per week. Please see the call for more details.
Please fill in the online submission form here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Ceramic Artist in Residence
September 1, 2023 – August 31, 2024
The Port Moody Arts Centre Society supports artistic excellence and innovation. This residency is open to all emerging ceramic artists over 19 years of age. This residency is an excellent opportunity for artistic development within an innovative and supportive ceramic community. The residency will require an emphasis on making, learning and sharing the process of creating with clay. The clay studios at PoMoArts are busy, supportive and house a true sense of community. There are classes for adults in hand building and wheel throwing, children and teen classes that range from after school clay to spring & summer camps, plus a very active Open Studio. You will have the opportunity to teach classes as a paid instructor and to display your work.
The Ceramic Artist in Residence receives:
- A secured ceramic studio space for the duration of the residency, with room for a wheel (supplied), storage of work in progress, and some supplies.
- Access to studio space during PoMoArts open hours.
- A solo exhibition of the body of work produced during the residency. (average 4 week exhibition)
- Opportunities to show work in select group exhibitions during the residency
- An artist profile page on the PoMoArts online Artist Directory. https://pomoarts.ca/artist-directory
- Up to 2 full kilns of glaze and 2 full kilns of bisque firings/month, or equivalent, for pieces that will be included in the final exhibition or are part of the artistic practice moving towards the final exhibition.
- Mentoring opportunities with PoMoArts Gallery, Programing and Ceramic departments.
- Engagement opportunities with PoMoArts community of ceramic artists.
- The opportunity to purchase clay through PoMoArts.
- The opportunity to teach classes and/or workshops at PoMoArts.
In return, we ask that the Ceramic Artist in Residence:
- Dedicate sufficient time in the studio to complete a solo exhibition before the end of the residency.
- Supervise a minimum of two Open Studio sessions per week
- Create works for the solo exhibition, working in conjunction with the Gallery Manager.
- Be responsible for own clay/specialty glazes/tools/equipment.
- Promote best interests of PoMoArts and participate in fundraising initiatives.
- Comply with our COVID 19 Safety Plan and all occupational, health and safety standards.
- Successfully pass a Background and Vulnerable Sector Check
- Comply with policy and procedures set forth by PoMoArts ceramic department.
- Be available for one or more in person public outreach activities or events.
Apply before the deadline Tuesday, May 23, 2023
We thank you in advance for your application; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Applicants will be notified by June 16, 2023. The successful applicant will be required to successfully pass a Background and Vulnerable Sector Check prior to beginning their residency.If you have any questions or difficulties with this form, please contact Janice Cotter, Gallery Manager (she/her) at email@example.com