Marketing Assistant Engagement Assistant
Summer 2021 – Pending Canada Summer Jobs Funding
PoMoArts is seeking a creative, dynamic, and innovative Communications & Community Engagement Assistant to support the development, implementation, and evaluation of communications, and programs for PoMoArts arts education and exhibition programs and initiatives. The Communications & Community Engagement Assistant will engage in the development and production of social media content, and research into community engagement opportunities. They will work on several project-based assignments, including the research of non-profit policies and software analysis, the organization of virtual events. Working with the Marketing Coordinator, the Marketing assistant will create visual, written, and digital communications materials over the course of the position, helping to ensure that PoMoArts key messages and public-facing image are consistently integrated across multiple channels of communication. They will also work on several project-based assignments, creating original digital and video content to promote PoMoArts programs across social media channels, engage online audiences, and extend our reach within the communities we serve.
Housed in the historic Old City Hall and Appleyard House buildings in the heart of Port Moody, PoMoArts is a cultural hub for arts and education. With a mission to promote participation in the arts, we offer a full range of visual, ceramic, theatre, music, and media arts programming for people of all ages and experience levels to explore their creativity and develop artistic skills. PoMoArts is also home to a public art gallery, showcasing the work of emerging and established artists in a variety of mediums through a professionally curated exhibition program.
Working closely and collaboratively with the Marketing Coordinator, the Communications & Community Engagement Assistant will:
- Assist in developing and implementing digital strategies for promoting PoMoArts as a public facility and cultural attraction, including communications, marketing, and social media campaigns for art exhibitions, events, arts education, and outreach programs
- Promote exhibitions and programs via PoMoArts website, virtual events, and online listings
- Develop and execute recruitment & outreach strategies to attract and retain new volunteers virtually, and ensure the retention of existing volunteers, including the development of an orientation video
- Act as a PoMoArts advocate and champion for the arts and artists in our community
- Collect, document, and file press clippings, producing media reports as needed
- Create content, generate ideas, and support campaigns for e-newsletters and social media channels to connect with audiences, raise awareness around the arts in the community, and promote PoMoArts programs
- Engage in social media conversations that surround PoMoArts activities, monitoring and responding to comments and customer inquiries on social channels
- Create and produce videos for the PoMoArts YouTube channel and other social media platforms, including Instagram and Facebook stories and live videos
- Maintain the PoMoArts current website
- Gather, date, and produce digital metrics reports
- Ensure best practices and brand identity standards are followed; maintain working knowledge of social media trends and emerging ideas/social platforms
- Liaise with other staff members and departments to ensure alignment and sharing of relevant information
- Aid in setting, monitoring, and meeting communications deadlines as well as managing social media calendar
- Post-secondary education or demonstrated experience in art history or visual culture, marketing, event marketing, communications, digital media, or a related field
- Have a strong interest in arts, culture, and public engagement and/or digital and social media
- Strong knowledge of digital marketing and social media platforms, tools, and analytics
- Highly effective communication skills, spoken and written, with the ability to create fun, engaging, and impactful social copy
- Creative thinker with an aptitude for creating content, developing strategies, and generating new ways to engage online audiences
- Critical eye and strong attention to detail, with an eye for consistency across multiple projects
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong organization and time management skills with the proven ability to manage priorities and meet deadlines
- Proficiency with multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and standard desktop applications; experience using Adobe Creative Suite, photo-editing software, and online platforms and tools such as Mailchimp, Canva, Google Analytics, and Content Management Systems (Joomla, Squarespace, Wordpress) strongly considered an asset
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) an asset
- Familiarity with search engine marketing and optimization an asset
- Second language skills in Mandarin, Cantonese, or Korean, especially related to social media platforms and audiences, are considered an asset
- This position requires the completion of a successful criminal background check prior to commencing employment
Eligibility for Canada Summer Jobs Program:
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, for the duration of the employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
$16 / hour
This a full-time (35 hours/week) 16-week youth employment opportunity scheduled to take place from May 3 – August 20, 2020 (16-week). The position and its duration are conditional upon Canada Summer Jobs funding.
How to Apply
Please submit your application to email@example.com no later than Sunday, April 4th at midnight according to the following guidelines:
- PDF format only with your COVER LETTER and RESUME in the same document
- Your cover letter should clearly indicate why you are interested in this position, what you hope to learn, and what impact it will have on your professional development
- Must use “CSJ Communications & Community Engagement Assistant – Application” as the subject of your email
The Port Moody Arts Centre is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or (dis)ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Visit pomoarts.ca for more details.