Are you a ceramic artist looking for a rewarding job supporting your artistic community and practice? Are you a self-motivated, hardworking, resourceful individual who enjoys working with both amateur and professional potters?
In this role, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of all the operational and technical aspects of the PoMoArts ceramic studio. You will also have the opportunity to join our Ceramic Arts Teaching Faculty and supplement the income and duties of this role, with that additional activity.
This role is best suited to a candidate that has the necessary technical expertise to successfully undertake the required duties, good time management and organizational skills to be efficient and timely with all tasks, and the necessary social skills to sustain a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Established in 1998, PoMoArts is a not-for-profit organization housed in a beautiful heritage facility. Functioning as an gallery exhibition space and an arts education centre, we offer classes in visual arts, ceramics and music to people of all ages and experience levels, as well as hosting an annual Ceramic Artist in Residency Program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage inventory & stock of all studio supplies, maintaining cost & quality control
- Manage & direct clay disposal/recycling
- Research, prepare, test and develop all required glazes
- Kiln firing (electric) & maintenance
- Basic maintenance & testing of equipment, and coordination of repairs with outside contractors
- Maintain a safe & clean work environment, conducting cleanup of abandoned work regularly
- Enforce proper safety & studio usage expectations, including COVID-19 protocols.
- Maintain positive & effective communication with the teaching faculty and the Ceramic Artist in Residence, supporting their technical needs as required.
- Maintain all Health and Safety records including up to date MSDS Sheets
- As needed, support the Program Manager in assessing and evaluating the technical aspects of new course proposals and instructor suitability.
- Other related duties that may arise from time to time
- University/College Fine Arts Degree with significant focus on ceramics OR other equivalent professional experience working with ceramics
- Ability to create ceramic art in both hand built and wheel thrown forms
- Demonstrated technical competency in all aspects of ceramic studio operations
- Demonstrated physical capacity needed to manage a busy ceramic studio
- Organized, detail and process oriented
- Knowledge of health and safety requirements including the handling and labeling of all hazardous materials. WHHIS training preferred.
- Ability to pass a satisfactory criminal and vulnerable sector record check
- First Aid, CPR and AED certificate is an asset
- Artistic, creative, inspirational!
Note: This is not an exclusive or comprehensive listing of the responsibilities required of this position.
Schedule of Work:Up to 18 hours/week - mixture of daytime, evening and weekends. You will be expected to schedule some of your work during open studios and act as the non-teaching supervisor.
Application Deadline: Thurs. April 29th 2021, 5pm
Interviews: Tues. May 4th & Wed. May 5th, 2021
Start date: Ideally, week of May 17th, 2021
How to Apply: Send application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Ceramic Technician Hiring Committee
- Send your application in a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT.
- In the subject heading of your email use: “Application – Ceramic Technician”
- Specifically note the following in your application:
- Type of courses you’re interested in teaching at PoMoArts in addition to this role
- 3 References (note your reporting relationship)
- Website links or social media accounts that showcase your ceramic work
- Minimum 10 images of your own ceramic work
PoMoArts is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from diverse backgrounds, and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity or expression, race or colour, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, place of origin, religion, family or marital status or (dis)ability.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.